- This event has passed.
Jefferson-Madison Regional Library and WriterHouse Poetry Contest
March 1, 2018 @ 12:00 am - March 31, 2018 @ 11:59 pm
Join WriterHouse and the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library for our third annual poetry contest, judged by former Poet Laureate of Virginia, Ron Smith. One winner will receive a $200 Visa gift card, and one runner-up will receive a $100 Visa gift card compliments of the JMRL Friends of the Library and WriterHouse. Winners of this contest will be announced at Central Library’s Poetry on the Steps as part of JMRL’s Poem in Your Pocket Day celebration on Thursday, April 20th at 7pm. Winners will be honored and presented with their prizes at this time. All contestants are encouraged to attend and read their poems aloud at this open-mic celebration.
- Submit ONE poem to any branch of the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library or to WriterHouse between March 1 and March 31, 2018. See the contest flyer for submission locations.
- Poem must be the contestant’s original work.
- Your poem must be THIRTY (30) lines or less. Poems longer than this will not be considered.
- Contestants may express any theme or use any poetic form in their entry.
- TYPE your entry on unlined, white paper.
- Only include your title and poem on the front of your entry (no names please). Attach the form below with your name and contact information to the BACK of your entry.
- Saturday, March 31, 2018 is the deadline for submission. Entries submitted after this date will not be considered.
- This contest is open to ages 18 and older. If you will turn 18 by March 31, 2018, you are eligible.
- Entrants must reside in Central Virginia. Employees of JMRL and WriterHouse are not eligible for the competition.
- By entering the contest, contestants give permission to the sponsoring organizations to read, display, or otherwise publicize the content of their contest submissions.
HOW WILL THE WINNERS BE CHOSEN?
A panel of judges will review the entries. Finalists will be judged by former Poet Laureate of Virginia, Ron Smith, who will choose the winning entry and runner-up. Judges’ decisions are final. Submit ONE poem to any branch of the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library or to WriterHouse between March 1 and March 31, 2018. See back for designated submission locations.